Saturday, February 6, 2010

I have been told recently that my life and soul are full of holes that cannot be filled. As I step out from the Daniel's front door to meet a chilly January evening I catch sight of a smiling gentlemen in the room on the right with a wise, white beard tumbling from his chin down into his lap. His eyes are kind and reveal a peaceful, humble wisdom far beyond my understanding. Easing the door closed, I decide that my departure can be delayed for just a moment with this man.

He is deaf. I know that he has never heard the roar of a city highway or the melody of nighttime sounds beneath pine trees on a Summer evening. He has seen and smelled a world in ways unimaginable to me. What is it like to look out over an ocean not mingled with the sounds of gulls and crashing waves?

2 comments:

  1. This is very, very well done. And genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mr. J. Conrad. This didn't make me think so much as it made me sense. Huzzah.

    ReplyDelete