Friday, March 19, 2010

A Backward Glance O'er Roads Travel'd

Friday. I promise something fresh, something recent, soon. Until then, here are two poems I wrote when I was 16, within a week of each other. They make me smile, not because they are particularly good, but because they bring me back in ways that only something you produced can. It's funny how that works. Revisiting a thought you had at a specific moment is almost as good as a time machine.

-----------------------------------------


First Impressions

Momentary beauty
in what may have been a dream
mysterious and lovely
quiet and serene

if in a dream it was we met
appropriation of
all beauty and truth beget
you; mysterious icon

Haunting my imagination
puzzling vapors and remnants
the you of my creation
thought of which leads to divinity

I had just encountered that quote from Auguste Rodin:

Art is contemplation. It is the pleasure of the mind which searches into nature and there defines the spirit of which Nature herself is animated
Completely enamored with this thought, I set about exploring. Could places, people, induce such contemplation? What are the limits of "art". As any good aspiring creative mind would attempt to do, I took this idea in the macro and tried to express it in the micro. My muse at the time, a 17 year old french-cherokee bombshell, provided all the "practical" inspiration needed to express the intangible curiosity I felt towards the label "art". It also has this magical kind of self awareness concerning the fleeting nature of beauty, which I should have picked up on as subconscious hints about the cherokee girl.


-------------------------
The wave

Inspiration
No truer form
A stir in the mist
On the edge of existing
The Movement of the water over the sand
Graceful in it’s quiet, calm, rhythmic, breath.

Pen to Page
Feasible, tangible
on the tip of your tongue
The feeling remains but words won’t come
Choppy and uncertain. Tensing, relaxing. Belief then unbelief
The vastness of the sea, building, taking shape.

Furious Transposing
The reason and the rhyme are one
The time has come to pass
He whispers as he walks the way, “No one wave is the last”
The Wave, white capped and fierce crashes against the cliffs
Dread fills my heart as the tide comes in, its song my spirits lift

Still
The calm must come to make complete, the cadence of the deeps
I find rest, and am challenged by the secrets that they keep
If truly this is the first of many enigmatic waves
I pray that I might be all caught up and in the torrent be found safe.


Overall, probably not as good of a poem, but I am a sucker for the personification in the third verse. The image I had in my head was of this white-bearded, ageless lighthouse keeper type materializing from the crags and escarpments of a new england beachfront and walking by me and into the water, into a Nor'Easter. An acknowledgment that creativity is cyclical and then returning to the chaotic waters, the ether beyond ourselves from which all our good ideas come.

2 comments:

  1. You were better at 16 than I was.

    "Choppy and uncertain. Tensing, relaxing. Belief then unbelief"

    That line is capital.

    ReplyDelete