Monday, March 22, 2010

from ali : on going MIA and going French

So, yes.

Saturday's slipped by and between the rain and the sleep and the lack of an internet connection, my posting deadline slipped by too -

but the bullet point version of my planned post is: I'm going to pitch an internship offer to local French chef Elle Maisdon [read: let me wash your dishes so I may watch your sauces], who owns and runs the French fusion Chateau Bistro in Emory. I'm calling her tonight and am more or less shaking in my shoddily-heeled boots over it, not because she's intimidating - in fact, she's the quintessential gentle French aunt - but because it's just too perfect. More on why, later, but there's the project simmering at the back of my plans...

6 comments:

  1. (in an odd coincidence, I have been writing a short fiction that is going to have some connection to culinary equipment in some way. I haven't decided to what extent, because I haven't finished writing it yet, but it's funny because I was only about 400 words into my own writing when I checked my email and saw this. The only reason I know the kitchen will be in my kitsch is that it started, for some reason, thus: "It hardly makes a lick of sense. I hadn't washed the culinary panels well, the way I usually do, so I thought there should be a bad smell the next morning when I woke up to the chore." I have never even thought about writing fiction, but it just happened to me this morning. I started typing, and there it was. And when a creative project "just happens," well, I don't ask questions.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're going to work in a kitchen, you'll want well-shod boots. Do you want my cobbler's number? (He's a peach, hyuk hyuk.)

    She has to let you intern, and you'll do wonderfully. We'll be thinking and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did the phone call go by the way?

    ReplyDelete