Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Challenge?

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about "forever". The thought of dying and going to a magnificent place that never ever ends is mind blowing. However, it is so hard to even begin to conceive. No amount of straining will bring you any closing to grasping it. Much like writing, two great tumblers must align. First, you must randomly happen into the proper state of mind, and then the thought must cross your mind.

You can say the words "eternity" or "infinite" all day and it won't bring you any closer. So my challenge is, in the coming days, just try to keep forever in the back of your head through your day to day activities. At least a time or two you will draw it into your conscious mind and be completely in awe.

This is not to say that I or any other human being can comprehend eternal life, but we can begin to have an inkling of an idea, and even that is a very overwhelming experience. It makes me feel very small and extremely thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I think I am just going to spend more time trying to catch a glimpse of Jesus. I have been neglecting this necessity for the last week or so, and I am not sure there is a better way I can think of to meet your challenge.

    I highly recommend "We Would See Jesus," by Roy Hession. One of the better books on the topic.

    Judging by this post, you and I have been in a similar vein lately. I have been haggling with a short story on the topic. Fiction is new to me. Perhaps I will share a bit here soon.

    ReplyDelete