Sunday, April 25, 2010

from ali : updating, and questioning




A handful of shifts at the Chateau and I'm getting a grasp on its rhythm, which is at times energetic and at others exhausting, but always interesting and educationally all-encompassing: I'm learning everything from tactfully handling disgruntled clientèle (comp the ticket, give them a free creme brulee, and smile them right out the door) to honoring restaurant code (soups must be 140 degrees, minimum) to tossing a salad properly (with your [clean] hands - anything else might bruise the delicate lettuce). Biggest challenge? Empty tables. The Chateau is inconveniently buried off a farm-to-market road in Emory, with minimal traffic exposure for any city folks who might be passing through and an intimidating aura of high-brow reserve to the locals, most of whom seem to be missing the majority of their teeth.

So. That brings me to the question part: Elle has asked that I not only dip back into my now-dusty experience writing restaurant reviews for local publications and whip up some words in the promotional vein, but also help her create and implement a more aggressive marketing strategy. There are endless possibilities, from a much-needed design overhaul (menu, website, and advertising) to generating awareness by realizing her dreams of cooking classes, a wine club, private parties, etc. IDEAS. Rack your brains, and creative resources, for how to first let people know about the Chateau, and then get them inside its doors.





P.S. Pictures from my own kitchen - because experimenting with food and photographing it is what Sunday afternoons are all about




5 comments:

  1. While racking my brain would probably be effective, I'm not a proponent of torture, so you'll have to be content with me wracking my brain.

    I'll think on it and give you my thoughts over pizza sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir, may I direct your attention to Definition 13

    (just... ignore 12. and also 16. and also anything else that doesn't make me right)

    but yeah, any input would be marvelously helpful. ANY INPUT. ANY AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin refuses to look at the board, rolling his eyes towards the ceiling. Ali slams her elbows down on his desk and palms his chin, trying to force his head down. "AT THE BOARD, SIR, AT THE BOARD" she screams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have you know that I did something similar to this recently, and only then remembered this post. I didn't use cheese (ingenious, really, I wish I'd thought of it.) It was just honey and cinnamon on a batch of soft, somewhat sour plums that I then plopped in the freezer on a tray. Unfortunately the sour/sweet/freezing result was at best controversial even on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incidentally Justin, Ali is entirely right. "To rack" is plausible, but "to wrack" is a completely unrelated thing.

    ReplyDelete