Monday, June 28, 2010

A greeting and introduction

It’s hard to know how to introduce myself, to decide what about me is so vital that you must know it to understand what I write, and what is periphery, a distraction. But with time against me (and my own conviction that as a newly-invited author to this community I owe you all an introduction sooner rather than later), I’ll keep this short.

My name is Heather. I am a writer by trade, but am falling in love with words all over again in my spare time. I live in coal-mining territory in the hills and valleys of western Pennsylvania with my husband of three years, work as a reporter at a daily newspaper while he begins a doctorate degree, and spend afternoons on my living room floor with Vesper and Alaska, my ferrets.

I once thought I had a fairly decent handle on this journey we call life; but I know now that what I thought I understood must be relearned. I have been shattered, and am slowly being rebuilt into a more useful tool for service in the hands of my God. And I am coming to understand that the growth is worth the pain.

So that is who I am. I’m looking forward to being a part of this far-flung community.

- Heather

P.S. I'm not familiar with the font, size, or tagging requirements for posts - please let me know if I need to change something!

3 comments:

  1. First off: Excellent naming of the ferrets.
    Secondly: Welcome! I, for one, am looking forward to what you offer to our little collective here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tagging as follows: each post with first name only and then category: "Creation," "Inspirations", "Quotations" or "Junk Drawer" (for those posts that don't clearly fall into any of the three primary categories).

    love you babe, looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete