Wednesday, April 7, 2010

From Gabe: A Tortoise Housekeeping Issue

Dear members of The Tortoise Initiative,

A continuing dilemma has arisen from the fact that this blog publishes to our individual online profiles. Click here for an example. You'll note that once our feed is published to outside sources, (no doubt a good thing) there is no way to tell which of us authored which post. The dilemma is then whether to allow the ambiguity to continue, or to manually delete posts from sites such as Google when they republish there.

But the dichotomy is false, in that it can be circumvented, as Ali has been doing, tagging her titles "From Ali." This is both a quaint and efficient way of addressing the problem, and I propose we all do the same. Title your posts with a "From," adding each your own name and a hardy subtitle set off by the punctuation-mark colon, as I have demonstrated in this post's title, from here on out. I recognize this demotes our flowery titles to subtitles of a dull series, but such is the cost of greatness, gentlemen and lady.

Just to keep this inspirational on some level, I will add that in my rather fruitless momentary attempt to look into the proper use and history of the colon, I inadvertently caused this timeline [link] to come into existence. As a communications designer and an old soul, I am instantly stopped in my tracks, a child who has found a minutely life-changing new toy. Trivia and distractions abound, branching off in thousands of directions, all neatly arranged for the eye while expansive enough for the curious mind. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I voted against.

    I appreciate the housekeeping need, but abhor metadata uncleanliness. Title is title, author is author. If your profile page only shows titles, not authors, that seems like a problem with the profile page. I'd rather switch blogging engines than muddle the metadata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Yes. This hadn't occurred to me. But I'm not convinced the metadata purity is really all that paramount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I mean is: if we're shoving data in weird places, it usually indicates we're using the wrong tool.

    ReplyDelete