Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Truly Joyous Jumble

Fifteen miles into a bike ride through the country and my knees stop aching. Ten minutes into a swim when the scrapes on my shins quit stinging. Twenty-two years into a lifetime and my soul starts truly yearning for a God that's forever present. Three lines into a blog post and life seems a wonder.

Staring off a monolith into a valley of sticks and greenery. This is where I find myself the weekend of May 29th. Flash forward less than two weeks and I am sitting below a florescent light, at my desk, dreaming of cliffs and clear, bluish-green water. Escaping into the yellowing pages of a Hesse novel is no match for total immersion in water lapping against a rocky shore of a small, hill country community.

The days have grown much longer and the expanding schedule for each day is, surprisingly, not burdensome. Each dip in the city lake, every sunset reminds me that He is rolling out beauty in every direction. Warmth from a fire crackling in the 'rocket ship pizza kiln' consumes doubt and apprehension. This life is for living and it's time to get busy doing so.


"I don't want to be a fair weather fan caught in a trough drifting again. When the tempest comes, and we know it surely will, I hope we ride the wave and learn to sit still. Life isn't poetry. It ain't a book you read or a movie you've seen. It's not the fickle flesh or the drugs that make us feel the best. It's the culmination of faith and the guiding light that leads through the pitch of night."

-evergreens


2 comments:

  1. Dear Tortoise Initiative:
    I just lost a chunk of a Friday afternoon lost between your posts, soaking up the words. Because my profession worships brevity and basic facts, and my days have left little time for books, and my mind is starving for beautiful words strung together like pearls.
    Some of you I know - Alden? Brother? At what point were you planning on telling me you were writing here? And will you write more? And others I have probably met before, and still others I am meeting for the first time in these posts.
    So I wanted to thank you, and ask you to keep up the good work. And if you have a minute, wander over my way and offer your critiques? Because this is a year of stirring up the stagnant waters of my own writing, and I need all the help I can get.
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the deeper meaning you drew from our simple summer days




    day to day pours forth speech
    and night to night reveals knowledge

    ReplyDelete