Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Inspiration: Minimalist Wikipedia Banner

I looked something up on Wikipedia today only to be immediately confronted with a Wiki rarity: a banner ad. Oddly enough, it wasn't intrusive. In fact, it's well designed, maddeningly so considering how little work probably went into it. Granted Helvetica font face promotes itself, being one of the easiest faces ever to read and utilize. Even so, the colorful photo with the grizzled looking mug just got my attention without revolting it away again the way most banners do. There is something to be said for the way the text runs left to right, terminating in Wales's name and pointing the viewer's eye right to his plaintive yet confident expression in what looks like an innovative working environment, albeit of nebulous nature.

The point of the banner is to drum up donations to support the unwieldy user-supported behemoth Wikipedia, founded by Jimmy Wales.

I've mentioned before that I love bands like Spoon, who use minimalism to great effect in their particular creative discipline. I will try to share more examples of "less is more" in the future. That phrase, as an ethic and aesthetic, greatly accounts for the poignance of some of my favorite art, and motivates some of my own work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment