Thursday, February 25, 2010

This will not be a series of observations or a flowery description of some afternoon in the park. Instead I've opted to make this little entry a list of what I'm working on at the moment due to the fact that nothing has reached its final stage just yet.

There's a series of songs and musical pieces I've been putting together over the past six months that I'm preparing to record (actually record. Not the "about to record" with the distant look in my eye that means I want to but probably never will.) The track listing will be as follows:

1. Death Egg [Revised]
2. A Hug from Guillermo
3. The Saint Rides Again
4. His Name was James
5. Evergreens
6. Places You Go/Places You Stay
7. At the Beach with Adolphus
Aside from the above listed songs I have the desire to write a song for each and every one of my friends because what's nicer than having a song written for you, really? It's a long, arduous process because each quirk, every mannerism, and all the wonderful things about these people must be embodied by the chords used, the time signatures applied, and then the songs should take on the personality of the individual they're written for.

Is Ali a waltz or a folk song? Is David a ballad or a rollicking rhythm and soul song? Are they meant to be minor chords or soft humming over maracas and bongos? Is Canaan a jazz song just because he loves Billy Cobbam?

6 comments:

  1. I don't know who you are, but the way your mind works is great. This sort of concept is awesome. I actually have a pastiche of half-written lyrics from when I tried to do this a couple years ago. I think I finished... one song maybe? I'm kinda distractible, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a rumba.

    ... are all seven listed already written? and just waiting on recording?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabe: if your songs are anything like mosquito hawk you should definitely finish them so I can listen to something good that I'm not all too familiar with already.

    Ali: all but "at the beach with adolphus" have finished guitar and vocal parts (for those that have lyrics) and I'm just going to record them bare-bones and add more instrumentation down the line if I or someone else deem it necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. soooo this means we get to hear them soon, yes? yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need a few weeks. i have this cold and can't do any of my "excuse for singing" until it's gone and left my throat alone. i'm starting guitar parts this week. should they be recorded outdoors so that all the sounds mingle with the songs or should it all be done in a confined space...like a closet?

    ReplyDelete